Saturday, November 7, 2009

September 28th - Day 3 Finding ATMs in Dehradun

Our first asana class with Swati – it felt like an hour and a half of concentrated leg stretches – it wasn't, but we did spend a lot of time standing with one leg on the wall. I am so appreciative of the fundamentals that both Rajiv and Swati are bringing to these first classes. Because I haven't been doing yoga regularly for a few months, I'm finding my body open to relearning the asanas (poses) without some of my former bad habits ... today in both the leg stretches and Uttanasana it was the importance of rotating the upper thigh back – something I've long struggled with thanks to many years of ballet when I was younger - and today, I could finally really feel it. Very cool indeed.

After class and breakfast, Richard and I took a vikram (6 to 8 people; 8 rupees – 20 cents) to Dehradun – our primary purpose, to withdraw enough money for the course and accommodation fees (India is a cash society) - which proved successful 4 ATM machines and 3 separate cash withdrawls later ... We then explored a bit – first Fab India, a clothes store with very nice traditional (well really they're modern traditional as they are still worn primarily) clothes – Richard bought things for his wife and I bought a traditional shirt to aid my attempts to fit in as best possible. Really beautiful fabrics, especially some of the shawls ... I will be back. Then we found the very western / Italian coffee shop with a comprehensive English bookstore in the back. And finally, Kumars – the small department store with a little bit of everything from food, to sweets, to drug store products, to home wares and even Kraft peanut butter ... It was good to get a sense of what was available 'in town'. Then a motorized rickshaw (2 to 3 people, 100 rupees – $2.30) back and we were home in time for pranyama.

I'm continuing to settle in at the house – the only thing I am really having to adjust to is the village of ants that I share the bathroom with ... this moving black line that I stare at as I brush my teeth ... unfortunately it seems Hindu philosophy is against killing animals ... I'm giving the natural remedies a week before I ask for the bug spray ... Our first few dinners have been good – I have a feeling however that rice, dal, a vegetable dish and two chapatis is going to be my staple meal over the next 7 weeks ... I may be needing a meal out or two along the way :-)

After dinner, back in my room for the evening, I am finding that I am missing 'noise' … it is going to take time to adjust to the quiet – the good news is that my PCs speakers are good and I'm rediscovering the music on my IPOD :-) I don't listen to music often and it is nice to be reminded of how much I enjoy it – normally the TV or internet provide the noise / fill the space first. I'm also not going to have wifi for the first time traveling – and that will be different as I am so used to being 'connected' … however, a little disconnection will be good for me – that is why I am here – to be quieter, to read, be able to reflect more and also catch up on my blog and email.

No comments:

Post a Comment