Tuesday, November 3, 2009

September 18th - London, A Blur ...

I had 11 days in London between Africa and India – and I was so glad to be here! I love London – and I have such a level of comfort – everything from the trains, to walking down the high street, to Marks & Spencers, to Boots, to a cup of tea, to the pubs ... I just relax and breath more easily. It really is my second home. I have been so lucky to use it as a base for this extended 5 month trip abroad – from two days before we left for Greece to three days in between Italy and Africa to now – it has been my grounding, my coming home before heading off again. I have said, and I truly believe, that I couldn't have done this trip without having it – so thank you so very much to my very good friends who have put me up – I'm more grateful than I can say.

This time in London was different – I had more time – I was looking forward to being able to just hang out and spend time with friends, some of whom I hadn't seen in years - as opposed to just coming in unpacking, doing laundry, another trip to Boots and packing up again. The very short version - it was basically 10 days spent 'chatting' – either over lunch, dinner, coffee, tea, wine, beer, shopping or wheelbarrows of dirt.

The slightly longer version ... 1st day, great pub day – pub (Sunday roast) to pub (scrabble) to pub (cakes and paper) to pub (quiz night) ... to High Wycombe for 2 days landscaping (2 of us moved at min 40 wheelbarrows full of dirt from one end of the garden to another) and great conversations ... fun in London, shopping (I hadn't remembered to bring cold weather clothes ...) and hanging out with a friend on school break ... party dresses on, girls night out – maybe a little trouble was had ... but a very fun night ... More to Life weekend – incredibly intense and more on that later ... starting to think about packing for India ... wonderful catch up with an old friend – talked for 5 hours straight and could have kept going ... great lunch with friend last seen in Vancouver and Victoria now in Nottingham – such a global crowd ... laundry and packing ... last dinner: cheese and bacon burger and fries – before 7 weeks of vegetarian curry ... a wonderful whirlwind :-)

I'm leaving London already looking forward to being back after India for another two weeks at the end of November - seeing more old friends - before flying home December 1st.

No comments:

Post a Comment