Monday, November 16, 2009

October 25th - 2nd Term ... This Tortoise's Head is Pulling In

Walking around Rajpur the last few days, I started to see new 'foreign' faces ... has to be new students ... the reality of the 2nd term starting is at hand ... Orientation was the afternoon before the first class – I had missed it last time and was curious to experience it. Turned out to be pretty straight forward – name, country, how many years studying and with whom. There were 45 people this term – the hall was full to the extent I couldn't see about a third of the faces down the same side. Another very international crowd – the usual Brits, some Americans, Australians and then Polish as well as Columbian, Malaysian, Brazilian. I continue to be grateful that I already know people and am not starting from scratch.

I hadn't yet met my new housemates and when they introduced themselves, I couldn't see their faces so after the session, it was a bit of a guessing game as to who they might be ... we connected and they are lovely – Gavin is English, an Inyengar teacher as well as a marine scientist (really not sure on the details here ...) living in the UK and Laura is Italian living in London learning English.

A few days in and the routine is emerging ... different from the first term as there are no more naps required and instead I am focused on my blog and getting to practice each day. I still go to Amdo's for breakfast and am enjoying getting to know the new people that have discovered it. I'm also discovering places to write – I still enjoy my outdoor kitchen but I've added to it with the woman's center (they provide training to local women in baking and sewing and then sell the products) which has a good little cafe with amazing views over the valley and my favorite, the pergola on the roof of the yoga center which has incredible views of the valley and Swati's garden and the most amazing gentle air that just breezes by. I'm writing about 3 hours a day, enjoying it and feeling very productive - almost like I am at 'work' – a little surreal to say the least ... and also reassuring :-)

The yoga has been great – there are similarities to how the first course began, but more often, it seems like we are starting from where the last course ended, especially in the pranyama. Rajiv used this great analogy for pranyama the other day - that of a tortoise ... we arrive at class very much 'head out' and then through the breathing, the head goes in and we achieve a very different state (“yoga pudding” is one of his descriptors I like) ... and then class ends and the head starts to reemerge. I've found the analogy also works for me with the 2nd Term - my 'head' is pulling in. At the start of the 1st term I felt a need to get to know people, socialize and be part of the group – to an extent that surprised me. But this term, I don't have that same need at all. I'm much more comfortable on my own, being with me and I'm finding the days are much more about me, my reflections, what I want to do. So, other than the hello/good bye with people before/after class, my breakfast at Amdo's, connecting at practice or the internet and dinner with Gavin and Laura – I'm good. It's a nice balance. I also know it is largely due to the regularity and intensity (more intense than we think) of the yoga and pranyama – and I am loving the head space that it is putting me in.

No comments:

Post a Comment