Sunday, November 8, 2009

October 6th - Day 11 A Very Quiet Relaxed Life

This morning I realized I have finally slowed down, settled into being here and found this lovely relaxed life ... such that I've stopped ticking off the days and started realizing just how few are left in the first course ... my process is always the same :-)

The days starts a little before 7am and by 7.30am I'm at the studio settling in for the 8am Asana class. Two hours later, and I am hungry! A few days in I discovered Amdo's – a Tibetan restaurant where a number of us go for breakfast – for me, a cup of hot honey, ginger and lemon and 'special muesli' – a large bowl of yogurt, fruit, nuts, raisins and honey – perfect and necessary as when we have pranyama in the afternoon, we can't eat after 11.30 or so – so this needs to last through to dinner. The afternoons are typically slow. I may have a local errand or two such as buying veggies, finding the post office to mail postcards or syncing my laptop at the internet cafe and then it is home to read or write or do a little laundry ... or nap :-) I have been tired this first week and it's been a lovely luxury to lie down, read a little and then realize it's two hours later and I need to get going or I'll be late for afternoon class. A tough life I know.

I've read my first fiction book in ages – The White Tiger – and miracle of miracles, I have not read the ending yet ... for those that know me, this is actually an achievement :-) An excellent book which I've really enjoyed – a highly insightful look into the “two India's”, the light and the dark – and it feels especially relevant living in a house with a gardener, cook/housekeeper and laundry woman ... There is also a quote from the book that strongly resonated with me - “you were looking for the key for years, but the door was always open” - to what part of my life, I'm not sure – maybe just to living my life, in which case I'm definitely on the path to finding the open door.

I've been able to reflect more – be more present with myself and my behavior ... such as how I react when something doesn't go my way and I really don't think it's right - case in point, the taxi driver who still wanted to be paid even though he didn't actually have to pick me up from the Dehradun airport that first day ... I got angry and made it perfectly clear I was angry – I could have tried to smile, cajole and bargain or I could have gracefully accepted – after all, we were only talking about $12 - but my instinct was anger and I could feel it in my chest afterward as well as a responsive need for chocolate or bread ... there is a connection I realize ... as I munch away on my travel almonds :-) This control over my anger and my ability to let things go – are both things I'm hoping the pranyama will help with.

A number of times today, I've realized just how happy I am that the yoga center is in a quiet suburb of a city. We can get into Dehradun easily if we want – for the stores or good Indian food (as Richard and I did last night) – but increasingly I find it noisy and chaotic with all the people, cars and horns - after which I am very glad to be back in quiet Rajpur where, with the exception of the occasional car horn, Muslim call to prayer or the weddings late at night (we are in the “season” where the days are especially auspicious for weddings ...), all I hear are animals – birds, dogs, monkeys and the occasional moo from a cow thrown in for good measure!

The end of the day ... dinner after class about 6.30ish – the food is basic and good – and the conversation, exceptional! Richard has the great stories – either of his travels (jumping out of moving trains ...) or his research into ancient numerology within Judaism – the bible stories with their numerical links and meanings are wonderful and truly bring home the point of how linked Christianity, Muslim and Judaism are ... it's fascinating. By about 8.30ish we're finished our tea and a sweet and I'm off to read a little. I've been asleep before 10pm and sleeping really well – right from the start – for which I'm very grateful as it makes all the difference to me – and tells me I've really relaxed and settled into the place.

No comments:

Post a Comment