Sunday, November 8, 2009

October 10th - I Want A Garden

Now that statement will surprise more than a few people, and likely send my mother into shock – but it's true. I've written before about our outdoor kitchen here and how it overlooks on to a lovely garden with then a further view of the surrounding hills. Really incredibly peaceful – and it has only reinforced something that I've been mulling for a bit now ... I want a home with a garden.

When I was buying my home, I had to decide between the house with a garden and mortgage helper or the condo – and was driving my real estate agent mad because I wasn't clear about what I wanted. Then after a yoga retreat in Haida Gwai, I came back very clear that, for that time in my life, the condo was the way to go – bottom-line it was easier, there was the strata to deal with all things maintenance – and my brother pulled out the all too faithful HR trump card ... when in doubt, what would past behavior indicate future behavior to be ... yeah, definitely the condo ...

The funny thing is that when I was looking, I actually found a half house with a garden that I liked and seriously considered making an offer – but it had it's drawbacks and so I didn't and that was right at the time - but the fact that it still sticks with me only reinforces this is the direction I want to go.

And then there is the question all will ask, are you going to look after the garden??? My real dislike for getting my hands dirty is well know – I kid you not, my mother has to find non-dirt related tasks for me when I'm helping in her garden ... But I've had two garden moments on this trip where friends have independently just shoved me in and said go ... and whether it was planting summer flowers with no gloves or digging up root systems and plant roots with gloves ... not only did I survive, but actually enjoyed it and had a real sense of accomplishment at then end ... so I definitely have a few things to learn e.g. how to keep the plants alive is the start – and also, lots of great teachers who will be more than happy to show me the way!

Now, how or when exactly this is going to happen, I'm not sure ... it will influence career decisions as a mortgage will be required ... and I don't want it to be something that ties me down from future traveling ... but at least I'm clear on what I want. Now it's up to me to see how much I want it - and to make it happen if I really do - which i do :-)

3 comments:

  1. You mean there are non-dirt related gardening tasks?? I'm devastated the discover that I do NOT have a green thumb. Not even a green pinky finger. And those olives won't pick themselves ...

    Start small when you get home, I'm told you can do wonders with container gardening. I'm sure your new roommate will be more than happy to guide you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. good advice :-) though olive picking - perfect non dirt activity ... let me know season and I'll come help :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did I just read this? OMG! I *knew* I should have had you over to work my garden more often. Hah! I side with tNb - start small first :)

    ReplyDelete